Friday, September 9, 2011

Father's Day 2 Ways: Part 2

For this card I knew I wanted to play with two of my new Stampin' Up items - Elegant Soiree DSP and the 'To a Classic' stamp set. They may be retired now (since the new catalogue came out) but I still only just bought them. This card is a Kate original and here is the result:


There's a lot of colours mixed up here so I hope I've gotten away with it. I really wish I had the correct coloured cardstock but I didn't so I had to substitute for some retired cardstock.

Materials:
Cardstock: Elegant Soiree DSP, Chocolate Chip, Very Vanilla, Bashful Blue or Brocade Blue (sorry don't know which!)
Ink: Chocolate Chip ink pad, Chocolate Chip marker, Marina Mist marker.
Stamps: To a Classic, Teeny Tiny Sentiments.
Other: Early Espresso striped grosgrain ribbon (think it's retired now), scallop oval punch, oval punch, dimensionals, paper piercer, mat pack.
Non Stampin' Up: Brown/bronze brads, aqua painter.

Tips and Tricks:
1. The car and checkered pattern are the same stamp and in between them (on the stamp) is the sentiment 'happy birthday to a classic' (I think) which, of course, I didn't want on a Father's day card. I used markers to ink up the stamp.
2. I used Marina Mist ink and an aqua painter to lightly shade in the car.
3. I tried to make a 'dashboard dial' effect with the sentiment layers.
4. The car layer is popped up on dimensionals to accomodate the brads and ribbon underneath.

Stuff Ups:
1. The car image - I should have either clear embossed the image first or used watercolour paper because the ink started to bleed when I added the water via the aqua painter. After it dried I touched up the image with the marker which hid a multitude of sins!
2. I've run out of Baja Breeze cardstock - I had to substitute with old retired stuff instead.
3. I've run out of Early Espresso cardstock - I had to substitute it with Chocolate Chip instead.
3. Probably should have used four brads to balance out that top layer.
4. The ribbon should have been a bit tighter but wrapping it around paper was difficult due to its flimsiness.

Pleasant Surprises - Ooh, a new heading!
1. I managed to align the 'Happy Father's day' and 'dad' stamped images the first time I stamped them!

No comments:

Post a Comment