Saturday, September 3, 2011

Father's Day 2 ways: Part 1

Yes, it's been a while! Had a card drought for the last month - no birthdays or anything. I have two for you today - one I made for my Dad and one I made for my father-in-law. I'll start with the one for my Dad.

You can just see a pic of me on the left behind the card - hello me!
I was cruising google images for inspiration and came across a card I adored and have cased it almost entirely I'm sorry to say. It features three Stampin' Up products that I received yesterday (To a Classic stamp set, Newsprint DSP and silver brushed metallic cardstock, oh and the motorcycle stamp that I haven't used yet) so I had to try it. The original card I loved was made by Ros Davidson.

Cardstock: Basic Black, Brushed Silver, Very Vanilla, Newsprint DSP.
Ink: Stazon Black, Basic Black.
Stamps: Motorcycle, To a Classic, Teeny Tiny Sentiments.
Other: Sponge, dimensionals, big shot machine.
Non Stampin' Up: Diamond Plate embossing folder by Universal, Black and white checkered Japanese washi tape (inside the card), Stampamajig.

Tips and Tricks:
1. Using the brushed silver cardstock was a lot easier than using a coke can to achieve the metallic effect. Another idea is to wrap a piece of cardstock with tin foil and run that through the big shot machine. The cardstock should give the tin foil the power to hold the embossed image. Haven't tried it myself just yet, only read about it somewhere.
2. I used the stampamajig to stamp the sentiments. I find that the easiest way to stamp with small skinny stamps. I don't bother using the plastic sheet, just that little T-square device. It helps to avoid wobble marks and smudging you make especially if you are prone to it like I am.
3. I sponged around the main image with a watered down Basic Black ink solution. My Basic Black ink spot pad has dried out and I don't have a reinker so I just added a bit of water (and probably wrecked it now) and used that with a sponge.
4. Ways my card differs from the original:
  • I am not talented enough to create a masked and stamped image so mine is a single stamped motorbike.
  • My proportions and dimensions are different (and probably skewiff).
  • I have a sentiment stamped on mine.
  • I used a diamond plate embossing folder rather than the square lattice embossing folder.
  • So yeah, not a whole heap different...
Stuff Ups: 
1. The Very Vanilla layer - I should have trimmed it down but I was too worried that I'd ruin it so I left it big.
2. Getting that Very Vanilla layer on straight. I must have peeled it off 3 or 4 times. Thank goodness the card didn't bend.
3. Forgot to take a photo of the insert inside. It looks really cool with the black and white checkered washi tape along the bottom - like a checkered flag at the races.

No comments:

Post a Comment